TV Anorak: An American Intro To British TV-The Y's

anorak
1. British: A person obsessively interested in a thing or topic that doesn't seem to warrant such attention.

This series of Challenge posts is an introduction to British TV shows for my fellow Americans. For instructions on how to play different region-coded DVD's, please go either here or here to read my previous blog posts that should clear up any confusion. Next up:
a-to-z-letters-y

Despite my lack of X's and O's (ha!), I do manage to have a Y!

The Young Ones
Another show from my youth, Young Ones was one of the first regular shows MTV had, back in the day when they actually played music videos. The Young Ones is very hard to describe, but I'll give it my best! Four "college" blokes share a flat, pick on each other and do other mean stuff (mainly to Neil) while hiding from their landlord. You've got the geek, the metalhead (quite literally), the hippie, and the old one. This is an all-star cast of the finest of British comedic actors (probably none of which is known to the American audience other than Rik Mayall, aka Drop Dead Fred. That's a real shame because Adrian Edmondson (aka Mr. Jennifer Saunders) and Nigel Planer are really quite brilliant (there's that word again).

Comments

I'm so glad you had The Young Ones as your Y post. This is classic television, and it always makes me laugh :D
Tama said…
Oh, I love that show! Hilarious - and gross, too XD