Disney+ - Day 1

Yes, I was one of those weirdos who booked my Disney+ "reservation" months in advance. I didn't pay for the year or the three-year package, but I did schedule the month-to-month package (just in case I ended up hating it, I didn't want to get stuck with it). I should have known it would be AH-MAH-ZING!!!

I rushed home from work earlier than normal last night (which, here lately, that still meant late), and it was waiting for me on my TV app screen. Granted, the home screen of the app kept crashing, but I wouldn't let that deter me, I just slid over to the side screen and those menus worked, so I had full access to all the content they had up.

I had heard rumors that the first bit of content would be limited, and it was. The new content we were promised was limited to about six to nine shows, none of which were the new Marvel shows I was so looking forward to ("The Mandalorian" was there, but I'm not a Star Wars fan, so I wasn't interested in that). But the catalog of Disney movies, Marvel movies, Disney Channel Movies, Disney Channel TV shows, and all sorts of Disney documentaries was pretty vast! There were some notable exceptions missing that I was wanting to see...Jonas L.A., Sonny with a Chance and a few others, but I think the original Jonas and Lilo and Stitch the Series will still keep me busy for a while!

I started with the new stuff which, for a streaming service, isn't technically "streaming"...it's one episode at a time. I watched "The Imagineering Story" and it about had me in tears. Granted, I've watched dozens of shows about the history of the Disney Company or Walt himself (or even various Imagineers), but this one was definitely a cut above. I don't think I've ever watched such a well produced documentary on the company ever, even the ones done by the Disney company itself (which, by the way, are also on the channel like "Waking Sleeping Beauty", "The Frank and Ollie Story" and several others).

Since the first episode only dealt with the beginnings of WED, making Disneyland, the birth of Disney World and basically ended with Walt's death, I wanted to watch another episode but, unfortunately, because there wasn't another one yet, I had to move on to something else. The preview for the next episode was all about building Disney World (and some future peeks at Tokyo as well), so at least I have something to look forward to, especially if it's as good as the first and has as much unseen content as the first did. I've gotten too used to the binge-watching lifestyle and I don't like reverting back to waiting for episodes of shows. I don't know if they are releasing new episodes daily or weekly, but I may wait to watch some of the new content when the entire season is out just because I don't like waiting.

I debated on watching another original (there was a really cool show called "The World According to Jeff Goldblum"), but instead I went on to the DCOMs, some of which I haven't watched in years, especially "Avalon High", which they never released on DVD for some reason. And then I just got lost in DCOM-land until I fell asleep. I have the feeling, Disney+ is going to keep me busy for a VERY long time!

One thing I did notice, I've seen a LOT of press recently about how the international market (who got Disney+ before we did) has already made "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." the highest rated show on the channel so far, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the show library for the U.S. All the other Marvel shows were there, but not S.H.I.E.L.D. Disappointing for this massive fan of that show. I was kind of hoping that, if the ratings in this country soar too, we'd get a S.H.I.E.L.D. spin-off once the series ends next year, maybe something Fitz-Simmons! A girl can dream, right?

Comments

Linda said…
I now the Disney+ is all the rage, but we have got it yet. Don't know if we can get it on our TV.

Linda
For us, Disney+ will only launch at the end of March, and I'm still debating getting it. I'll probably try it on a monthly basis as well, I don't really feel like paying for three (or ultimately four, when WB does their own thing as well) streaming services all the time, but the shows I want to watch are just spread out all over!
Emma Louise said…
In the UK, we have Disney Life. I've just checked we haven't got S.H.I.E.L.D on ours. I just pay the monthly price but have accounts for my sister and cousin. I like that it gets you 10% off in the Disney store. I am impatiently waiting for Ralph Breaks the Internet but since Cars 3 was only added like a month ago, I guess I'll be waiting a while.

My pet peeve is that the TV shows don't roll from episode to episode. Once an episode is finished, you have to go back and select the next one.
I am glad to hear you like it! I think I have to get it.
murakami said…
Great post. Keep it up. Thanks for advice. It is wonderful information for me
slotxo
I've got disney + here in Australia but I got told that the content is country specific at the moment because in some areas they are waiting for current contracts to run out.

I LOVE it! I have watched so many awesome old movies... and like you I have a fair amount of them already on DVD but the convenience of streaming is sooo much better!