Weekly (pitiful) Stitching

Well, Roswell turned out WAY better than I was expecting (at least the first time...more on that in a minute), so much so, that I apparently couldn't watch and stitch at the same time because I was mesmerized! So I literally didn't stitch any this week except for an hour on Saturday and Sunday, bad me! I left off here last week:
Dollmaker-029
And my pitiful excuse of stitching ended here for my rotation of this piece:
Dollmaker-031
I debated going ahead with a third week considering it got no love in week two, but I decided to stick to my routine and move on. I'm going with Alice and the B's next, and I honestly can't believe I haven't touched them since Nov 2017, but I guess that would be about right, all things considering and I REALLY miss working on a HAED! So I guess I'll be starting on row 5:
alice170
Once I finished Roswell the first time, I was hooked and started watching a second time (even bought the digital versions from Amazon). I am a sucker for teen-angsty love dramas and LOVED it! But, on the second go-round, I got hit with a realization that, if you take away all the alien stuff, the normal teenage relationship stuff is something this show does a bit TOO well. When I was a teenager, I didn't know I was an Asper, I just knew I was different and didn't get a chance to go through what everyone else did, although I saw it all around me and was EXTREMELY jealous of it. I spent my entire youth miserable because I didn't understand what was wrong with me, why I couldn't have what everyone else did, why I didn't attract boys (although, whenever I did, I made a concerted effort to push them away) and why I didn't have a group of girlfriends (although I can't stand to be in a group of girls, even today). I wanted to be a "normal" kid so bad, I made myself miserable and it took me until my late 20's to realize I wouldn't ever be normal and that was OK and it was really me causing the "stay away" vibes in the first place and, if I wanted to attract people, I needed to turn that switch off. To this day though, I haven't felt the need to flip that switch for more than a few minutes or days and I'm OK with that now, oh the joy that is hindsight! The second viewing of Roswell hit home a bit too hard and I almost felt like I was back in high school all over again and all these weird feelings came back to the surface and there is really no need to drudge up my own high school horrors, self-inflicted or not! Maybe next time I want to watch Roswell, my head won't be in this space, although I'm not sure what triggered it the second time around and not the first...weird! So I'm back to watching Agents of SHIELD...safer territory I think since I'm still trying to curb my Once habit.

On the new home front, I learned that it's going to have to be bigger than I initially planned due to subdivision restrictions (and all brick, yet another expense I wasn't counting on), which is weird because my Sister has been the one pushing for small...a fact I've been fighting against this entire time! My trailer is a bit less than 1200 sqft. A 1400-1500 sqft house (her size suggestion) isn't THAT much bigger to make a noticeable difference in space for me considering all my junk, it's barely an extra bedroom, but my Sister has been saying that "houses are different than trailers, and have more space". I'm not sure how that is particularly true...my bedroom is 14x16, my living room is 16x18 and I have a HUGE bathroom and none of the 1400-1500 sqft plans I've looked at have come close to my room dimensions because of that extra bedroom taking up space. I was thinking more 1600-1700 and the plan I had worked out was about 1700 (and that still had me worrying about cost). But now I have to be in the 1800-2000 range and yes, I can definitely work with that (craft room!)...but now I'm not sure how they can build me a house that size in my price range, even at cost. Cost of living is a LOT cheaper down here, so it's about $100/sqft for the average house, but still, even if I could afford it at whatever they charge me to build it, it's still an average of $180,000-$200,000 house in property taxes and insurance and I'm not sure I could afford that.

Plus, now I have to find YET ANOTHER house plan I like that will fit in the subdivision they are planning. Ugh! Well, at least I still have at least another year or so of credit card debt paying-down to go before I even THINK about starting all this mess. I usually spend a YEAR researching something as simple as a camera or a TV before I buy it, can you imagine what a pain I would be building something as complicated as a house? Even if they are building it at cost or less, there are still certain things I'm going to be ticky about and want done a certain way and, my goodness what a monster I would be with the research!! Gas vs electric, water heater vs tankless, wood vs vinyl vs ceramic vs carpet, fireplace or not...my head is spinning with the options! About the only things I'm certain of are colors...whites, grays, and purples. I've tried to look at some of these things now, but it just starts to make me sick. I can barely deal with the house plan issue. I'm really glad I quit school, because I definitely couldn't deal with regurgitated teen-angst, work, school and building a house! My Brother-In-Law is going to HATE me once this is all finished! They say building a house is the number one cause of ruining a marriage...I might be the end of my Sister's marriage!

Comments

The Dollmaker's face is much less creepy this week :) I am really looking forward to seeing progress on Alice and I am so excited for you in regards to your new house. I am sure all the headache and stress will be worth it to have your house exactly as you want it!
Even a weak week is good for you! The progress really shows.
Building a house is such a big project, you want to get it right.
That still is a lot of progress for just a few hours, and I'm looking forward to seeing Alice and the gang come out to play next week!
I think I know what you're talking about with the teenage angst stuff...even though I'm pretty content being the person I ended up being today, and really never had any desire for all that teenage drinking/drama/partying stuff, seeing it in movies or hearing people talk about their youth sometimes still gives me the feeling I missed out on stuff. It's really weird.
You're house building plans are very exciting, but also very confusing! And I think I need to redefine what a 'trailer' is in my head...aren't those the things you attach to a car and pull around? But how can they be 1200sqft? That's way larger than my apartment! My mind is a little blown here.