Bam Bam The Brave

So, my baby boy got his teeth cleaned and all went well! They got a late start (apparently). I dropped him off at 8 a.m. and, when I hadn't heard anything by 2 p.m., I called because I was freaking out, but they hadn't even started on him yet...they were three dogs behind (just like when I go to the doctor!). I made the mistake of watching their video on the teeth cleaning procedure and really lost it then! I work in the medical field and even I couldn't take it, but maybe because it was a dog and not a human. They should at least redo it with a gentler hand doing the tube insertion or something! I was sitting at my desk crying just imagining them doing that to my baby (warning...watch at your own risk...it's a bit graphic).

Needless to say, by 4, he was in recovery, and by 6:30, he was still a bit "hungover":
Untitled
Looks like I picked him up at the bar, right? But he was doing well, all torture considered. No extractions, no complications, just a lot of soreness. They said he couldn't drink water, but he could eat ice. He's the one dog that I've ever had that just will NOT eat ice (of course) and I tried to tell them that, but they just said, "well, give it a try"...yeah, Bam will eat ice the day I eat popcorn...I could be stranded on a desert island with no food but a bag of microwave popcorn and I would starve to death! Bam is like that with ice. Needless to say, I fed him water from my fingertips.

He wouldn't get too far from me for the rest of the night, always touching me in some way, but every time he moved, he would cry out and it was sad. Finally, we just played "hold the baby" the rest of the night until we both fell asleep.
Untitled
Probably laying him on his back wasn't the wisest plan, but it was what it was. By the morning, he was spooned beside me on the couch (as per usual), so apparently we moved at some point in the night.

He was coughing a bit this morning, and super dumb me, in my morning stupor (I don't really wake up until about 11, no matter how early I'm physically awake), I handed them their Pupperoni's as normal. He's not supposed to have solid food! By the time I realized what I had done, it was too late and he had finished most of it. I let him finish the rest. I also let him drink from the water bowl this morning (under supervision) and that seemed to help his coughing. My brain can't process that much thought in the morning. So that I don't forget (because it's not part of my morning routine), I literally have to put his med box beside my meds (which is beside my watch to remind me to put it on), just to remind me to give him his meds because they are in the fridge. I guess I'll need to put a slice of cheese on top of his med bottle for in the morning because he does have to take it with food. That's the only way I'll remember not to give him a Pupperoni. Bad me. But since he is taking pain killers and antibiotics, maybe I didn't do any damage. They always say the same thing to me when I leave the dentist, and I typically go straight to Sonic and get a Coke Zero with Nerds or a Cookie Dough Blast or something stupid and I lived through it, so I'm hoping they were just being overly cautious and I didn't do any permanent damage! I'm willing to tempt fate with myself, but not my kid!

Comments

Awwww he looks so dopey. Poor fella! But a necessary procedure. Hope he is feeling better today!
Linda said…
I'm so happy to hear everything turned out okay Keiley.

Linda
Bless him! I am glad it went well and I'm sure he is recovering nicely by now.
Brave little Bam! I'm so glad to hear everything went okay. I suspect the 'no solid food' might be more a 'it can hurt' and not a 'it will do damage' thing, either way, I'm sure he'll be better soon :)