Reaction Videos - A Follow Up

There is another YouTuber I've been watching, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll be hanging on to him...I'm not really enjoying his reactions to Once like I do the other guys, but not for the reason's you'd think.

I know I've mentioned how I can't see how people think there is a whole "cheating triangle" between David/Mary Margaret/Kathryn...I will ALWAYS see that as, David was married to Snow White FIRST, so anything that happened in Storybrooke doesn't count. For these characters, their REAL world is the Enchanted Forest, not "our world". The entire Storybrooke world was a curse and David spent the entire first 28 years of that curse in a coma (until Emma showed up). If you have seen the show, you'll remember in the Pilot episode, he was mortally wounded BEFORE the curse happened, so he crossed over into our world and probably went directly into the hospital, did not pass go and certainly did not collect $200. When he did wake up, his first encounter with anyone was Mary Margaret and, before the curse took hold of him, MM was who he had feelings for. ALL his "memories" of his marriage to Kathryn were all "cursed" memories...they WEREN'T real and it even took Regina a bit to get those memories to kick in (and, even then, they didn't stick well). The first time he slept with Kathryn was after he awoke from the coma, AFTER he met Mary Margaret and was already half in love with her...so again, I question his motives there.

It's not like the other Storybrooke residents who spent 28 years living a cursed life...yes, Ashley (aka Cinderella) was pregnant for 28 YEARS and NO ONE NOTICED! Time stood still for everyone, so Kathyrn either lived in her house with these cursed memories waiting for him to wake up, or Regina just had her in storage somewhere, just in case she needed back up. David and Kathryn's marriage was a sham from the get-go, just another way for Regina to hurt Snow. There is no telling how many contingency plans Regina had. After all, the entire curse was so that Regina could have her happy ending and, as we saw in later seasons, the day to day of ruining everyone's life, got old very fast, hence adopting Henry.

I kind of wish the show never made such a deal out of the whole affair issue. Even though they never actually really insinuated that David and Mary Margaret did anything but meet up and kiss, it can be safely assumed that they did actually sleep together because in season 4 Mary Margaret tells Regina that "she slept with a married man too". Well, technically she just slept with her own husband and Regina sleeping with a married man was a whole other ball of wax.

I guess the fundamental question is, how much does a curse change who you are and who you truly love. I've seen conversations where people compare it to permanent brain damage...if you are changed and don't remember who or what you are, you've met someone else and married them, even though you may already be married to someone else, at what point does your old family no longer matter? What if you got your old memories back? Now you have two families to deal with...who do you choose? I always thought that was an interesting comparison.

But the real issue I have with this guy's interpretation of the show is that he has major issue with the fairy tale aspects of the show (a show that is half rooted in the "real world" and a land of "fairy tales"). "Things don't happen that fast", "people don't just fall in love that quickly", yada, yada, yada. That's the WHOLE POINT of the fairy tale world! In fairy tales, that's EXACTLY how people fall in love...love at first sight, true love's kiss will break any curse, good will always win...how many times do they say all these things through EVERY SINGLE SEASON of the show? In their world, which is a completely different realm than "our world", that's how things work! So, of course Charming almost sacrificing himself to keep Snow from killing Regina would break her spell and make her fall in love with him again almost immediately. Welcome to the wonderful world of fairy tales. That's why we love them so much! And yes, of course in the real world that kind of behavior would never fly, which is why the opposite behavior tends to happen to David and Mary Margaret in Storybrooke, their story line there tends to go more organically because that's how "real" relationships work (and I use the term "real" in a TV show kind of way). I wish I had a dime for every time he's complained because of how fast things move in the fairy tale world and how "it just doesn't happen like that in real life". Of course not because it's not "real life", it's a fairy tale!

I can be VERY defensive of this show and I know it's not for everyone, but there are very OBVIOUS reasons why things happen the way they do...like in ANY show. But if you're watching a show about fairy tales, Disney fairy tales for that matter, then you should realize that Disney characters will be involved, fairy tale elements will be everywhere, and yes, it will be sicky-sweet at times. Welcome to the wonderful world of Disney! Ultimately, the message of the show, as the writers, the actors, the creators, and just about everyone involved in the show always said, was about hope. And it's kind of like the Disney World/Disneyland moto..."For those that get it, no explanation necessary, for those that don't, no explanation possible". I just wonder how much longer the guy will carry on with his reviews because he's clearly NOT getting it (although I still have hope that he eventually will).

But for some weird reason, I keep watching his reactions, keep screaming at him on the screen (like he could actually hear me), get mad, and then anxiously await his next episode "hoping" he FINALLY starts to get it. Yeah, I know, that makes me super weird for even wasting my time. I would be better off not watching at all, but there just aren't that many people out there doing reaction videos (or following through with them, I should say), so my options are limited! Despite everything, I still do love reaction videos and I will watch any new ones that come up.

Comments

I think what makes that 'cheating' triangle so difficult is that we, as bystanders, know that it's not actually cheating, but the characters involved don't. David and Mary Margaret can't help the attraction they feel for each other - after all, they are kind of destined to be together - but from their point of view, before they know about their real identities, what they are doing is still wrong, so they torture themselves about it. And Kathryn is still getting hurt, because in her mind, David is her husband and Mary Margaret the home wrecker. Very difficult situation indeed.

As for the fairy tale kind of love...yeah, don't know what that guy expected. He can't much enjoy any other Disney movies with that opinion, so why did he ever think that Once would be the right show for him if he's not willing to except that?
I always thought that was an interesting idea to explore and have often put myself into it and tried to figure out what I would do, the no memory of an old life then the memories coming back.

I will never understand people who watch tv or a movie based on fairy tale and then complain that it isn't real. That's the point of fairy tale!