Reaction Videos - The Finale

Well, I did it. I went to Liam Duke's Patreon page, since he was the first YouTuber that I watched reaction videos from, and decided to join up for his full reactions at the $5/mo tier. What I didn't realize, once I got there, that, not all the OUAT reactions were there. I knew, via the comments on the front page, that older reviews had been removed for space issues, but I looked at Once BEFORE I joined and it "looked" like they started at Season 1, episode 03. Well, I SHOULD have actually read a bit further down. The first available post was Season 2, episode 22! Considering he is currently on Season 3, episode 16 (on both Patreon and YouTube), that's not a lot of Once.

At first, I immediately dropped right back off of Patreon, but once you've paid for the month, you're there for a month. So, I went ahead and downloaded and watched the videos I had access to (even though I'd already watched the edited versions on YouTube). By about mid-day yesterday, I went back in to Patreon, up'ed back in at the $10/mo tier! Yes, I've lost my mind! I can't really afford it, but I feel like I owe him for some weird reason.

I thought about it like this, although I only watch his Once & Shield videos (but best I can tell, his Shield vids aren't on Patreon), I have followed him since the beginning and, of all the YouTube'ers I follow, he is my favorite and he's the best one! He doesn't make me mad, he doesn't offend me, I have commented on his page without worry (although not very often), so if I'm going to financially support anyone, if SHOULD be Liam! I could care less about the other shows he watches on Patreon, but he has the same reactions to Once that I did the very first time I saw it. He "gets" all the right parts he's supposed to...cries and laughs at the perfect time. They work hard to create these videos and, since I do really appreciate his videos, it's not right that I watch them for free. The other guys have just that touch of annoyance that keep me from wanting to give them money for them (even though I do keep watching just because I'm hungry enough for the content).

And, as a side note, he's as big as a Fitz-Simmons fan as I am, and we're about to finish up our favorite show together next year (now that Once is gone, I don't have a show left after Shield is gone). It's going to be rough on us both.

If I find another person who starts reacting to Once that I feel genuinely "gets" it, doesn't annoy me, then I guess I'll be heading over to their Patreon page too and this time, I won't wait too late to miss the first episodes!

I will say, there have been a LOT of reactors who have started shows and dropped off after several episodes for whatever reason..they don't get the show, they don't realize the hassle that is being a YouTuber, they can't handle the toxic environment that are commenters, they can't handle the pressure of editing the videos, or even get their videos blocked by Disney a lot, etc. It makes it hard to find new reactors and even harder to find that right combination of reactor that can hang in there with YouTube and can appeal to me.

I think, at least for me, what appeals to me most for a Once reactor, is that it is a person who would probably NEVER be the type of person who would probably watch Once on their own without a push, but end up falling in love with the show after the pilot. That's what's so great about "Once Upon A Time". It has this "stigma" of being a "Disneyesque fairy tale"-type show and people think it's a female-driven or kid-type show (and a lot of reactors, especially male, even start out saying such), but they are often very surprised after the pilot. Yes, there are plot issues, certain seasons have lulls, and there are issues that even bug me, but ultimately, it's a show about hope and standing up for what is right even when your actions may not matter in the end, and that's how I'm built internally, which is why I get it and why I love it.

99.99% of my life, my moral compass and my hope gene bites me in the butt, but that 0.01% of the time, when there actually is a payoff, it makes all the negative worth it and it makes me almost forget all the bad (or at least overcome it). It's why Once will ALWAYS be my favorite show and I seriously doubt it will ever be replaced! I just don't think they will ever make another show like it! I will still continue to re-watch it as long as I can and, as long as I enjoy watching others discover it for the first time, reaction videos it is!

If any of you guys decide to do reaction videos (or know of any good ones), let me know! While all this work stuff is going on, this is all I can deal with, but once work is caught up and I can actually stitch again, I have several Once projects in the works (as well as my regular routine projects) that are in DESPERATE need of attention! I MISS stitching! Despite my lack of commenting on your blogs, I have been looking at them (I think I'm just comment-paranoid across the board, even in this safe space).

Comments

I support a couple musicians on Patreon - I really like the platform. Sure, I can listen to there stuff for free on Youtube and Spotify, but I really like to support people whose content I enjoy, as long as I can afford it.
I jzst had a look at Liams page and it looks like he's trying to make his reactions permanently available in the future? Fingers crossed you'll eventually be able to watch the older ones too!