Times they are a'changin'

Question is...for the good or bad?

I took Thursday and Friday off because I figured Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was going to kill me. Ironically, not only did it not kill me, but made me extraordinarily happy! I wasn't expecting that! So like Once Upon A Time, I now have a show that I can continue to watch for years to come (I would say over and over again, but I've already watched Shield enough times to make that statement null and void, so no need to go there, but at least I can continue on).

But rather unexpectedly for both me and my bosses (although it has been discussed ad nauseam for almost a year), a random inquiry of one of our current medical interns came up with a possible I.T. intern for me. I'm personally not a fan of our interns, but I'm kind of desperate, so I figured, "why not?". Everything happened very quickly. They brought him in for an interview and I had to explain everything I'm behind on, what all I do, what all that's ahead, and before I even finished, it freaked out all but my main boss who is well aware of all that I do. One lady actually said, "OH MY GOD! YOU DO ALL THAT?", naw...I just sit and watch Once and Zillow real estate listings in Santa Monica all day...sheesh!

The new guy is technically is about to start grad school for I.T. in statistical data, but his degree is in psychology (again...fate?). I think the whole thing did overwhelm him a bit. Apparently it still didn't scare him too much..they texted me this morning saying he's starting first thing Monday. Again though, he has been working at his current job for a long time and he just apparently quit to start with us by Monday (a three day notice)? Doesn't show much responsibility. I think that is already nagging at me too much.

I requested he work 5 days a week, however many hours a day, just to keep my workweek routine. I think it would be more disruptive to me to deal with him coming and going various days and me dealing with getting used to him again. I need routines. So, if that means less hours per day, but every day during the week, so be it.

I also have the issue with not being able to share responsibility very well. My mother was bad about saying, "if you want something right, do it yourself". Unfortunately, it was probably one of the FEW things she ever said to me that I have EVER listened to and, even worse, it became a mantra that has become hurtful to my whole working career. I'm going to have to learn to share my work load and hope he can do it right (and me not waste my time checking behind him).

But, if it does work out, it means I can go on vacations again (eventually). I might even be able to start back to school again (maybe). More importantly, once he's trained, it means I won't have to go to the hospitals ever again...he can do it! I don't want to get my hopes too high. That NEVER works out well for me, but I do have that Disney hope gene that always nags at me (which is probably why I'm always disappointed).

I'm also a bit worried about what my co-workers are going to think (I know...take that one in for a minute!). The other interns are spread out throughout the lab and now I'm getting my own that is only for me. It won't go over well with the masses. To avoid me, they may bother him more. They could take advantage of him being too nice or helpful, and use him so much I'll never see him, which won't be helpful to me at all. That will end up being my luck.

I will only have him for two years until he graduates (or if I don't run him off), but we'll reassess at that time whether I need another intern or if there needs to be another FTE person. It will depend on our growth I guess. It also means that, all the piled up work that I've been avoiding, I'm going to have to do now. Yea me. Guess we now know what happens when a beggar gets what they want!

Comments

I hope so much that the intern works out for you!
You're getting a minion! Is it a paid minion or a slave? Whichever, I hope they are good at their job and help you with whatever needs doing.
I also recommend having a word with the woman who was amazed at how much you do and see if she can sort out a pay rise for you. If senior people were unaware of how much you do, this is the time to make them aware. No-one realised until after I had left, which is usually the way!
Linda said…
I sure hope he works out for you Keiley. Sending hugs and happy thoughts. Got my toes crossed. Can't cross my fingers cause I wouldn't be able to stitch. lol

Linda
Oh, something good happening at last! At least it sounds good, and I hope it'll turn out even half as good as it sounds. Fingers crossed for you! (And I'm also glad to hear about a good ending of Shield...we're still watching Season 5 [Do you ever wonder where the Avengers are hanging out while all this is going down? Season 5 especially feels like something Captain Marvel would get involved in...] and if I didn't knew better now, I'd be getting doubts that this can all come to a good end!)
Tiffstitch said…
I hope things have been going well with the new intern. It is so hard to share responsibility and allow other people to do things you know you can do better and faster. Good luck!