Road Trip Pics

As promised, here's a bit of a look at the remainder of the devastation that is still visible from Hurricane Michael. To be honest, I was kind of surprised to see this much trash still sitting around since October, especially down such a wide birth of coastline. I have been going to the coast since I was a kid, seen many a hurricane come through and they always seem to rally in such an amazing way to at least clean up the debris, even if it takes them longer to rebuild. I guess it's a sign of how bad things are in this country that, even after 9 months, this level of ruin still remains. I didn't take a lot of pictures at all, but the full album is here for those who would like to see them.

But before we get to the bad, here is the good that is St. George. It was EXTREMELY crowded, and I guess I kind of figured out that I apparently have never been to the beach during the summer before! All my previous trips have been during the off season! Thankfully the crowds tend to congregate together, so there where gaps where the beach was clear (thankfully).
DSC02033
I have NEVER had to fight my way through these kind of crowds just to get to a bit of peace and quiet, but I've also never been during a time when there are tide pools, so I guess it was some give and take on that front because I LOVE tide pools!
DSC02031
My obligatory feet in water pic:
DSC02027
Now on to the bad ju-ju. I didn't take a lot of pictures of it, because it was basically the same thing for hundreds of miles, but you'll get the idea, from the towns to the forests, it was pretty much the same all the way down the coast:
DSC02045
DSC02048
DSC02053
DSC02056
DSC02059
I didn't get a chance to pick up a lot of shells because we weren't at the beach very long, but this was my haul:
DSC02064
And there you have it! My weekend to the coast! I think, after my trip to Arizona, I'll go back in the winter and see how they are doing on the cleanup. I just hate that it looks so bad down there right now and I wish there was something I could do.

Comments

Linda said…
I love all of your shells Keiley. The devastation from the hurricane is horrible. I've always lived in California and have never seen a one.

Linda
You might not halve collected a lot of shells, but at least the ones you got are pretty!
It's sad to see all that destruction, and hard to imagine for us Europeans too I guess. We are pretty sheltered from all kinds of natural disasters here.
That's a nice haul of shells from your trip.
The devastation is awful, maybe they haven't had the same amount of funding to help with the clear-up operation this time?
That is sad to see. I am so thankful we don't see devastation like that here. Nice seashell haul!