Breaks are bad!

I've been looking forward to Thanksgiving break for a while, even with double work duty, just to have time off school. What I didn't count on was loving it too much! Yes, I did work my butt off at work with double shifts, but I went home and did "normal" things. I watched TV (well, OK, I do that every night anyway, but without doing homework at the same time), I rarely turned on my computer at home, and I even started my new stitch project! I did finish my last three English assignments, so technically, I'm finished with that class for the semester. I just have to turn them in as they are due and I can finish the semester focusing solely on programming, my hard class.

I am worried about my final paper because it was supposed to be 3-5 pages and I couldn't get it below 7 (shock, I know, me being overly-wordy). I rewrote the paper five times, from five different points of view, and each one ended up exactly 7 pages. My topic was the backlash against the original Disney Princess Model and the lack of a Disney Prince Model and basically how I think both are really bad things. But you guys know how I feel about that. I'm old school. I like happily every after and true love and all that OG stuff. Ever since a certain actress/Disney princess herself, had her little Twitter rant about it (and another one flat out said she refuses to let her daughter watch Cinderella because she doesn't want her to learn that girls should wait around for a "rich prince to rescue them" - sorry, did she watch the same movie I did?), this comic has been making the rounds and I find it pretty apropos for the issue:
Granted, I get why parents want to teach their girls to be strong and independent, but still, what about the boys? What are we teaching them? That they are just side pieces or villains? They no longer need to slay the dragons or fight the monsters because the girls can do that themselves. They no longer are held to a certain honorable, chivalrous, valorous code, one worthy of a princess because they simply aren't needed anymore. And trust me, I've noticed the difference in the generations of boys since the trend started. And if you wanna exchange stone-throwing, didn't Anna fall in love in five minutes with a total villain who tried to kill her and her sister, and then fell in love the very next day with a total waste of space (cuteness aside)? Yeah, SUCH a better role model there. I will never understand why everyone thinks that movie is such a good role model for girls just because of that whole sisterly relationship...I can't be the only person in the world that noticed that it was Anna's bad decisions that caused all the problems in the first place. I sometimes wonder if the people who complain the most about the OG princesses have actually watched those movies since they were kids. But I digress and I can rant about this topic all day.

But doing "normal" things reminded me how much I miss my "normal" life. This whole school journey started for many reasons, but one of the main ones being because I hated my job so much, especially one doctor in particular who is now leaving the practice. Now that he's leaving and work is getting better, it makes me wonder why I'm putting myself through all this struggle. I have to go back to class today and my nerves are all wound up. I'm terrified like it's the first day. Breaks are bad things! It broke my routine and now I feel like I'm starting all over again. Christmas break will be even worse because, after it's over, I start all new classes. Then there is summer. There is no way I can not take summer classes now, I see that, or I will never go back in the fall. I knew I could scrape up enough money for one summer semester (because I didn't take out enough loans for summer, not knowing how school would go in the first place), but I don't know how I'll come up the funds for a second one too, but I have to find a way.

But anyhoo, stitch-wise, I went out last Friday night and got thread and started winding it afterwards, but I fell asleep. So, I got up Saturday, started winding again, and midday I fell asleep again and didn't wake up until Sunday! I think I must have just been catching up or something. But, by Sunday, all thread was wound, the fabric was stretched and gridded, and Snow and Charming:
snowing000
Went from a blank canvas:
snowing001
And started it's long week of a journey. Granted, I didn't get to work on it much, like I said, it was a rough work week, but 7.33 hrs in, I at least made it here by the end of the week:
snowing004
Considering I haven't stitched on anything since about March, not bad for my return, if I do say so myself! I also thought I had a needle minder bought for this, so I guess I need to find one by Christmas break, since I probably won't have time to touch it again until then.

It's going to be small, about 7 x 10 on 28ct, and I'm still questioning the detail that the pattern promises, but I'm hopeful! It was originally supposed to be stitched on 18ct anyway, so that accounts for mine's tiny size, but I'm still a bit worried. I just wish I had a Emma and Hook to match, but that's OK. I'm just grateful for this gift and hopefully I can do it justice!

Comments

Unknown said…
I'm having a happy dance right now, you stitched, you stitched!! You did a lot for the time too hope you can find more time to stitch in the future. Well done. As for your school just take it one day at a time, you will make it. Don't give up now. Happy stitching!!!
Thinking back to watching Disney Princesses when I was little the prince was the after thought for me. Take Cinderella for example she was so tough for staying so sweet when she was treated like shit all the time and I was happy for her that the prince saw what a wonderful person she was. Belle, she had to deal with that skeevy Gaston who didn't care what she liked to do but she ended up falling in love with a man who loved her for who she was and encouraged her reading. Any way I could go on but I think the prince aspect was more of just part of the happy ending for me, not "the" happy ending. And looking back I don't see any Disney princess just waiting for a prince to save her. They all were doing quite fine on their own (except sleeping beauty and snow white... they kinda did need a prince.) So I don't get it. Also I am so excited to see you started Snow and Charming!!!! And wow it is small. I didn't realize how small it was going to be. Anyway it will be beautiful :) And keep up with school! Even if you end up staying at your old job, you will have your diploma that will enable you to move on if things go south again.
Well, at least Anna is a good example that falling in love head over heels (as most Disney princesses tend to do) is not always a good thing!
But seriously, the people that rant about that whole 'role model' business seem to forget about half of the older princesses, too. They didn't all sit around and wait for their prince - what about Nala? She had to go out and drag him home! (I know she's not an 'official' princess, not being human and all, but she certainly is a princess in my heart!). What about Pocahontas? Esmeralda, Mulan, Jane, Belle...even Ariel, though naive, went out and fought for her believes. There are so many incredibly strong female characters for whom love was only one piece to their happy ending, not their sole motivation. Oh well...
I'm glad you got your stitching start in. Maybe now that it's started you can manage a hundred stitches here and there? Or maybe not, I know how hard it is to stop again!
I'd love to read your Disney epic! My thoughts about the Princes, is that they should get themselves a life that does not revolve around a Princess! Do some charity work or fly helicopters or something! The Princesses will see you doing all these great things and think "there's a man worthy of my attention". As for the cartoon, if he went off and researched comas I'm pretty sure he could have resuscitated her without snogging her and assuming she'd marry him because of it. LOL

Anyway, great work on the new start, nice to see you stitching again.
Linda said…
I'm so very happy to see you stitching again Keiley.

Linda