Sorry so quiet, but I could use some advice

Well, I've done a bit of stitching...about two days worth in two weeks. Frankly, work has gotten me pretty anti-social. I don't want to stitch, I don't want to clean, I just don't want to do anything but stare at the TV and not think of anything else until bedtime. I would show what little stitching progress I've made, but frankly I haven't even taken out my computer to upload the pics, so right now I've got nothing to show.

But, I did go to the college last week...all by myself like a big girl! I had an appointment with the Disability Office and all went well, sort of. I did get lost on the way in, which was funny since I have been in that building hundreds of times (it was the new parking garage that threw me off). I really wanted to go in the bookstore too, which was right next door, but I was too chicken. Then I got lost on the way out and had to walk two levels of the parking garage to find my car. That campus has tripled since I was there last and I have a HORRIBLE sense of direction. I'm gonna have a rough time of it. Plus, until I get my parking pass (which costs a literal fortune now), the visitors parking is VERY limited and they patrol like mad to give tickets. I literally saw twelve (not kidding) parking ticket carts circling around in the time I was in the garage (which was probably a total of 15 minutes).

I got signed up for all kinds of benefits including being able to record my lectures (apparently that's not standard practice anymore), special seating if I want it (but I always get to class early, so that's not an issue yet, unless work interferes), if I have to do a group project either I don't have to, or I can do my part separate from the group and not present it with them, come Spring term, I get priority class booking and can book my classes a week ahead of everyone else (now it goes by your class rank), and dozens of others. Basically, at the start of every term, my professors will get a "note" about me and hopefully I will get left alone as much as possible. That's what they told me anyway. But the best thing, the thing I was scared of most, is Oral Communications...when I have to take that class, I can either give my presentation in the Disabilities office with the Professor present, or just alone in the class with the Prof...not in front of everyone! I'm still gonna put that class off as long as possible, but still.

But anyway, they told me that funnily enough, you can take a digital recorder, an iPad, and a laptop to class to record, to type or whatever, but you can't use a phone. I find that odd. I'm gonna buy a digital recorder (I do still have my old micro cassette recorder, but I don't want to seem like a dinosaur) and take my laptop, but whether or not I'll use it is a different story (unless I use the camera to record). I type fast (REALLY fast), but there are too many chances for the computer to crash or die, and then all your notes are just gone. I find it way too annoying typing on an iPad long term, so I probably won't do that at all, again unless I use it to record video. Even without worrying about the data loss, I figure the key clicking on a computer will either annoy me or I'll be afraid it will annoy others (or their key clicking will annoy me...we'll see). I'll take it, but I figure I'll be taking notes on paper and using the digital recorder. I am old after all.

I also have to fill out paperwork for tutoring that will be available until the day I graduate, but the paperwork is lengthy and I'm still working on it. They need copies of my tax records and all my transcripts which makes me a bit nervous and I have to write a "personal history" about myself. I've got that part done, but I'm not sure I did what they wanted, so my Disability Counselor has to review it first. I was supposed to do that this weekend, but instead I just sat on my butt and watched TV. I did it this morning instead. I do tend to procrastinate when it comes to school. I'm not even sure I'll take advantage of the tutoring...I'm not good with stuff like that, but the Counselor was insistent I apply, so I am. But I also have to drop the paperwork off at the library when it's finished, a place I've never gone before (yes, I spent three years in college and never stepped foot in the library, way before the time of the internet...what can I say, I was very resourceful and I didn't like the looks of that building).

I also got an advisor and spoke with him without having to go up there to meet him...he just released the hold on my account and told me to "stop by his office" once classes started. I was dreading that like the plaque, so that was a relief I didn't have to go to yet another building I've never been in before (at least not yet). I told him I wanted to get my English Comp II out of the way (one of three basics left) and I wanted to take Intro to Space Science and whatever he wanted me to to take, but he said, since I've been out so long, it might be good to only take two classes, especially since Space Science has a lab.

I told him I was a bit scared that a BS in Computer Science might be a bit over my head, but I told him what my end game was with Astronomy and he recommended I take Concepts of Programming. It's not part of my major requirements, it's more of a remedial course, but he said if I couldn't cut that class, then I'll know for sure that Computer Science isn't for me. It also has a lab which is also why he was against Space...too many hours. Plus, even though I could take Comp II and Space online, the Concepts of Programming is only offered on campus and it cuts two hours into my work day, three days a week (which didn't make work happy, but oh well), but that means I'll have to stay later at work to make up my time. They are just going to have to deal with the fact that I'm going back to school and it's going to cut into my work day. They allow others to do it and I should be allowed the same privileges.

At first, I was still set on the three classes, but that's 11 hours, which is almost full-time and, the more I thought about it, the more I think he's right...I should just stick with the two, especially since I'm dreading Comp II and I'm scared of the Programming. Best not to overload myself. I tried to find another class that wasn't a four hour credit, but I kept running across them. I tried Precalculus (since I didn't have that in high school either), but that's only a campus class and it's four days a week, an hour per day (more time out of my work day). Same with Intro to Chemistry (which I failed my first college try...I quit going because I hated it and it was before I knew you could drop a class...my stupidity, but I still have to take Chemistry again and since it's been 30 years, I figure I need a refresher before I hit the real thing).

My issue is, between all my Physics courses and my Computer courses, most all of them have labs, which means they are four hour classes (three for the class, one for the lab). Since I'm almost finished with my basics, there is really nothing "easy" left for me to take and it also kind of messes up my school loans since I'm supposed to carry 9 hours for it (right now I only have 7). I can bump down the award to allow extra money for summer courses, but again, because I'm at a "certain" level already, there aren't many classes I can take in the summer since they are really only offered either fall or spring. If I can squeeze in the Precalc and Intro to Chemistry in the spring, then I can take Chemistry first summer semester and Biology second summer and that's it for basics except for Oral Comm (which I will put off as long as possible...maybe even until they change the policy about it). Come next fall, I need to try to carry at least three or four classes if I can.

Life will suck for quite a while which is why I should be stitching like mad right now, but I think I've got all this clouding up my mind and I just can't focus on stitching. I just want to tune out and watch TV (again, while I still can). I guess, at least next year, I'll have the summers to stitch.

Granted, I don't have a family to take care of (other than the pups and they are pretty self-sufficient), but how do you guys do it? How do you manage a household, a family, a job, and school? I know I have "issues" in the mix as well (we'll call them my "kids"...little ASD, OCD, ADHD, and Society Anxiety), but I really only have a job (which sucks the life out of me, but doesn't everyone's job...or is it just mine?), so I should have enough time for school too, right? What do you guys think? Any tips?

Comments

How do I cope? I schedule and prioritise.
First thing - get up and get kids off to school then get myself ready.
Mornings - work (paid or housework) and emails
Afternoons - work or stitching
Late afternoon - kids and cooking
Evening - computer (blogging or FB).

If I have more work days in a week then I drop some of the housework so I still get my me-time. You can't take care of anyone else if you don't take care of yourself!

Also, a wise man said to me "don't cook anything that takes longer to prepare than to eat". My mantra for the kitchen!
Linda said…
Hi Keiley. I have never really had any of those issues. So sorry I can't help you. I will say that stitching might relax your mind some.

Linda
Tiffstitch said…
Jo has some good advice. I tend to get into that mode as well, sort of shut off, but that can make things worse in the long run. Try making a list of how to prioritize what you need to get done, and it can become routine. Routines are good. I think you're amazing for going back to school, you can do this.
I had been wondering what you were up to. Sounds like a busy time in your life!

I know for me I have decided that my family and animals are top priority, next is dishes, laundry and bathroom, then if all that is taken care of I get some stitching time. I just do what I can do. My house is not a show home nor will it ever be but we have clean clothes, clean dishes and food in our bellys. You will figure out what works for you once you get back to school. And don't be too hard on yourself. You got this!!!

p.s. I am so looking forward to hearing about your Intro to Space Science class!! So jealous!
Justine said…
I wish there was a magic answer! Like Jo I prioritise and juggle and we muddle through. I've also been where you are - working almost full time and studying fairly heavy courses (law). I think you'll find as you're motivated to do it and paying for it yourself, you will make time to study! I basically had very little free time for aboutb4 years but I enjoyed it and it was worth it.
Bethan said…
I follow what Jo does - prioritising.
I'm a teacher, and all the extra stuff (marking and so on) can swamp me. I prioritise tasks and try like anything to leave work at work. My work days are from 7am til about 5, but then I get home and either do house stuff or do stitching stuff.

You need to set yourself a routine and aim to stick to it. Don't give tasks strict time frames, but have rough times. And remember that when it is a lot of work at once - it's a means to an end and very worth it x
Emma Louise said…
Most students will be using a laptop to take notes, at least that's the case in the UK. I write too slow to keep up with the lecturers. I didn't work when I was at uni because the timetable was just so heavy but I did work part-time doing my college course as I had to pay for it somehow. Both were part time and only fell on the same day for one day of the week and it just meant going to college as soon as I left work. The college work was light enough that I could get everything done on time without feeling stressed about time commitments.

I must admit the new job I'm working, I'm finding it hard to prioritise things. It's usually a 4am start so I have a nap when I come home and then it's deciding which part of the house work to tackle that day. You'll eventually get into a rhythm but it will take time to get there.

Oh and I think they were iffy on recording lectures in case something could be used against the lecturer.
First, I think that sounds quite good - I hope all those 'disability advantages' you applied for work out so you won't have to do stuff that stresses you out too much!
Second, I second (haha) taking only two classes for your first semester. Working while going to school is new for you, and especially since you've been out so long, I think it would be better to start again slowly, then maybe take up a bit more workload once you get used to it.
Third, I completely agree with Jo - prioritising is key! My boss just told me something last week - and while it is something I keep struggling with, I think it was very important and true: There comes a time in life at which you can't do everything as well as you would like to. Sometimes you just need to cut corners and go for a not-quite-optimal solution in order to get by.
Also, taking care of yourself is NOT being lazy (another thing I sometimes struggle with as so many people tried to tell me otherwise growing up). Maybe try making an appointment with yourself - for, say, at least half an hour a day - and remember that has just as much priority as work or school!
I'm lucky my kids are older and I'm doing a masters course. A typical day has me getting up and either going to fitness classes or reading at 5.30 then I chase the kids out of bed around 6.30. I leave for work sometime between 7 and 7.30 and the kids get themselves to school. I work until 5 and then either come home or on uni nights I go to uni around 4. (yes the times don't match I have a nice boss) On days I'm home I try to do some study and reading. On uni days I won't get home until 8.30. The weekends are often spent in my craft/study room reading assignments and getting work done. I am also very very very lucky to have a partner that supports me. He is generally in charge of the cooking even though he isn't a big fan of cooking and he is supporting me.
Nothing is easy but it's worth it and it's something I'm truly interested in. So it makes it very worth it.