Classes booked!

Thanks everyone for your great advice! I had so much trouble trying to do decide what to do, even at the very last minute (and even now I'm questioning my decision and I'm still itching for that third class), but I did have some major help...apparently my advisor put a hold on my account so I could only book two classes anyway, the two he wanted me to book. So, it looks as though I'm taking English Comp II and Concepts of Programming.

I had no issues with the Programming class, but the Comp class fought me. Since those 80's records aren't digitized, they have no "real" record of them, so it wouldn't let me take Comp II since technically it didn't show I'd had Comp I (which I did). I ended up having to call the Registrar's office, who had to release one hold and then I had to call the English department who had to release another hold. They REALLY need to digitize those stupid transcripts from the 80's...I have the feeling this is going to happen a lot. My 90's and 2000 classes are all good, but since there are only like 4 of those...not very helpful.

When I couldn't book the Space Science course and lab, I went through the same steps, but when the Science Department couldn't release the hold either, I had to call my advisor and that's when I found out he had locked me down to two classes. He just felt that since I work full time (well, technically WAY more than full time...I clocked 75 hours last week), I needed to start slow. I tried to explain to him that I would be cutting my work hours down to at least 50 or lower, but even that freaked him out a bit. It's the price of being a salaried employee..40 hours rarely is an option. That's how they "get ya". Given the chance to do it all again, I wouldn't have taken salary. I'd be making WAY more without it anyway, but what's done is done. He basically told me I needed to get down to 40 hours, but I guess he was serious and didn't like it when I laughed at that.

And don't get me started on the hell I'm getting from work over missing two hours, three days a week. I've agreed to start coming in an hour early (which, in itself will be funny because there is no way ANYONE will want to deal with me at 8 a.m. in the morning...they can barely tolerate me at 9, so jokes on them on that front...but that fixes five hours of the week), and I'm not going to class on Tuesdays and Thursday's. I never take a lunch, so I tried to pitch it as I'm taking a two hour lunch three days a week. You would have thought I was suggesting closing the entire office! They are just going to have to get over it.

I'm at the stage now where I don't get choices on most of my classes...I will have to take them when they are offered and most of them are only offered at one time and it's usually at the most inopportune time during the work day. The Comp II class is an online class, so that saves the work hours, but the Programming class is on campus and it has a lab, so no way around missing work. And since I'm done with most all my basics, all my computer classes and physics classes will be a class and a lab, which means they are 4 credit courses and take up a lot of time. But again, I MORE than make up for it at work, so I don't get why I'm getting hassled over it. Maybe it will be the wake up call they need to FINALLY get me some backup? Yeah, I doubt it too. Got the feeling my phone will be blowing up in class, but I will have it off, so boo-hoo them!

Then there is the other glitch, since my two classes are only 7 course hours, it messes up my financial aid, so I'll probably have to spend half the day on the phone with them today trying to straighten that out. I'm supposed to carry at least 9.

On the stitch front...again, nothing this week, but hopefully I will post something from the other two days a couple of weeks ago...maybe.

Comments

Tiffstitch said…
I'm glad you got some courses settled and hope it won't be too much to deal with the financial aid people about the 2 hours. Since your advisor is making this obligatory, hopefully that will help.
Linda said…
Sounds like your getting most everything worked out Keiley. My poor ole brain gets tired just thinking about all your doing. Try to get some stitching time it might relax you a little. Work on Rapunzel - a no brainer.

Linda
Hope you're able to get everything. Honestly your work sounds like they've had it easy for too long ans they realise that their.days are numbered.
Sounds like things are falling into place! So excited for you. And tell work to shove off!
Justine said…
I don't understand a lot of this as your system in the US sounds so different to ours in the UK...but I hope you get everything sorted out then you can start enjoying the classes!
I'm with Justine, this sounds so complicated! But you seem to have a handle on it and I'm sure it will all fit into place once term starts.
I usually don't like people just making decisions for you, but it's probably a good thing anyways that your advisor put his food down on the two classes for now! Working 75 hours? Gosh, that is a lot, no wonder you are so stressed out over work some time. Good for you for standing up for yourself and not letting them bully you out of college!