I'm back...I made it (barely)

I'm back at work today, the routine I guess I needed, but didn't want. I've spent the last couple of days sitting on the couch, unable to walk, doing nothing but watching Q.I. (the Stephen Fry episodes only, of course), and hoping I didn't have to go to the bathroom very often, because I didn't want to stand up on my poor feet!

I made it down there, much later than I wanted to, because I forgot the time difference...such a rookie mistake! But it was pretty easy to sink into my regular Disney routine. I don't have pictures yet (more on that later), but I went directly to Animal Kingdom (with only two hours before it closed) and had my first "eating out" meal in over 2 1/2 years! Didn't even really give it a second thought! I went to the Pandora part of the park, but since I had just eaten, I didn't ride anything (plus, it was all very confusing), so I just took pictures, went to the nearest shop, and immediately dropped WAY too much money on crap. Second rookie mistake? I forgot to get a Conservation Pin...I haven't done that since the start of Animal Kingdom. I regretted it the rest of the trip and even attempted to get up the courage to go back and get one (although I never did).

First thing though, it was really hot, even for me. And even on that first day, wearing jeans, I got sun poisoning on my legs. I STILL haven't figured that out yet! How could I tan everywhere else, but get sun poisoning through blue jeans on my legs? That issue got steadily worse as the week wore on because I was wearing capris and my skin was ACTUALLY exposed to the sun, but I digress.

Next day was Magic Kingdom (and my B-day), and I did ride some rides, although not as many as I would have liked. I did the best I could with the crowds being as heavy as they were. I didn't get to ride Splash Mountain, which probably would have been my last chance. I decided that, instead of riding it with feelings of loss and regret over its inevitable upcoming change (I get why, I'm just not 100% sure it's the right thing to do...better to tear it down and replace it with something else than to retheme it, but again, I digress), I would keep the memories of enjoying it in the past. I did ride Haunted Mansion, Pirates and Small World. Not a lot, but those are some pretty massive queue lines. I did more shopping, more picture taking, and again, I left because I had my dinner ressie at Raglan Road.

My dinner went well, all things considered, and I made it in time to pick up my cake, although I didn't plan on the cake weighing three tons and me having to carry it 2 miles (OK, that's an exaggeration, but it didn't feel like by much). The issue was my room had ants, so I had to be very careful where I kept the cake, and for long I kept it where I kept it. It did make it home, but only because I had planned for almost every eventuality. I was supposed to go back to the Magic Kingdom that night for fireworks, but I just couldn't do it. I hurt too bad and the trip was only half over.

As per usual, the EPCOT day is always the worst, because the park is just too darn big. And with all the construction, the walls make the walking worse. I only rode Soarin' and Figment, but getting there and getting out almost killed me, and I still had all of World Showcase to do! I did walk the entire length, but I only ate at four Food & Wine Festival Booths, I think because I'm just not used to eating like I used to. By the time I got back to the room that night and went back to Disney Springs, I didn't need to get dinner because I was still full. Plus, by the time I had fought my way through the crowds, I just wanted to go back to my room.

The final day, I was supposed to drop my bags off with bell services and spend the day at Hollywood Studios, but I'm not sure if I was just too tired and sore, or if I was just too chicken (maybe both?), but I ended up just packing up, walking to Disney Springs to get my Earl of Sandwich sandwiches (my departing ritual, they keep for a while and I can't imagine a Disney trip without them), and I headed home. I could barely walk by this point anyway, so why bother fighting through the Studios?

All in all though, I did have a good time, but only in spurts. When I was in the park, on rides, I was OK. Shopping, again, OK. I almost lost it on every single bus ride I had to do. Yes, there was mask wearing, but with no social distancing (at all), it being as hot as it was and everyone breathing heavy, and definitely everyone sweaty touching, not to mention the fact that I turned full Asper on the bus and my senses were completely hyperactive to the point of pain, it will be a while before I can do that again, for sure. Plus, since they never announced the bus stops, I got off on the wrong stop every single time! I either had to walk all the way around the resort because I got off one stop too far, or had to walk to the next section over because I got off one stop too soon. I never once got off at the right stop. If it wasn't for the Apple Air Tags I bought, I probably wouldn't have been able to find my way back to the room at all.

Once I got home, the guilt of the money spent hit me like a ton of bricks. That has NEVER happened before! It was so bad, I have literally not taken a single thing out of the bags other than the purse I bought (which was never put in a bag in the first place, and I planned on buying on ShopDisney before I went anyway). They are all piled in my kitchen. And yes, I'm aware of how much I spent and I'm completely disgusted with myself, especially since it amounts to exactly five bags of merchandise. Yes, $2000 equals five Disney bags of merchandise. I suck. Have I spent more in past years? Yes, way loads...but I haven't spent like this in years and the guilt is enormous.

On top of that, not counting the money spent preparing for the trip, the vet bill somehow managed to be over $1000! I kid you not! I STILL haven't figured that out and I got an itemized statement! Yes, they both got shots and I bought food before I left, but still. Somehow, Bugs mysteriously got diarrhea and needed medication (which he hasn't had since he's been home) and somehow Bam got an eye infection with "green ooze" that he needed expensive eye drops that I have to give him twice a day. I haven't seen a single "green" spot (or any "ooze" at all, for that matter). Actually, the drops seem to be drying his eyes out. And, they were supposed to remove a cyst from Bam's back, but they just drained it. I can do that! That's why I wanted it REMOVED, not DRAINED. It would quit filling up if it wasn't there at all! But still, none of that should equal out to $1000! That is just ridiculous!

All in all though, despite my bitching, it was a good trip, just not my best. Maybe better than I was expecting in some ways, worse in others. Truth be told, there is absolutely NO WAY I can go back with my Sister by the end of this month. February...maybe, but not in a few weeks. Financially, I can't afford it. Medically, my body can't take it. Motor vehicularily, I don't want to put my car through the strain of another road trip so soon. Vetinarily, I don't even think the boys could take it (they did NOT have a good time...even leaving for work today, I left Bam screaming at the top of his lungs, it was heartbreaking). It may be a while before I go anywhere again. As a matter f fact, I need groceries now, and I can't even order them for pickup. I'm actually in a worse state right now than before I left. But that's not out of the ordinary for me. That happened before. Thankfully, I still have tons of cake left, as well as all the snacks I overbought for the trip to eat on (at least for now).

Speaking of which, I did film the trip to and fro, and I did film a couple of daily commentary vlogs, but I didn't do any "real" YouTube style "in the park" type vlogs. And I kind of decided, on the way back, that I think that I'm probably done with the notion of filming stuff for YouTube because I'm probably never going to edit these. I've been filling up a hard drive for a year for obviously no reason (other than wasting a perfectly good hard drive) and it's really not good content anyway. For now, at least, I think I need to focus on my family tree. Once I get that done, maybe I can get back to cross stitching! I miss it!

Anyway, enough rambling. I just wanted to give you guys an update, and I can't promise when I'll get pictures up because I have to use my old computer for Lightroom (unless I break down and do the monthly subscription thing, which I don't want to do, or start using Wine Bottler, which I'm not sure I want to start playing with something new right now either...I'm in a mood when it comes to computers, I don't really want to touch them unless I have to, hazards of the job). Thanks, as ALWAYS, to you guys for your love and support! You guys always have my back, no matter what paths I decide to take, and I appreciate that more than you will ever know! At some point, when I post the pictures, I'll comment on all the changes at Disney and how I feel about them (boy do I have a LOT to say about that!).

Comments

Sorry to hear parts of your trip weren't as good as they could have been but good on you for going!
You did it! You did a Disney trip, ate out and spent time around actual people. A lot.
That's all fantastic and you should be proud of yourself. It sounds like you learned a lot about your personal limits too, with walking and being around the people.
I'm sorry you won't be making the videos now but to be honest I think you would have enjoyed planning them and thinking about what to film more than actually doing them and building a following.

Looking forward to some photos now.
Wow, what a trip! Even with the not-so-good bits, I am a little jealous. Food, merch, rides...not keen on the crowds and people in general, though! Still, I am proud of you for making it through that, and for even enjoying it, and not just sitting in your room all the time. Hope you'll feel a little recovered soon!