Duran Duran - #5 Face For Today

It's time again for my review of Duran Duran's newest album, Paper Gods. Face For Today is a bit harder to define than the other songs on the album. I hear so many different album influences in this song, it's really hard to pin one down...I hear Notorious, Big Thing and Liberty influences in it for sure, but I also hear the first Duran album, a bit of Astronaut, some All You Need Is Now, and maybe even a bit of Red Carpet.

Another one of the great things about Duran is that, if I focus, it is very easy for me to distinguish each band member's particular sound. I can hear only John's strong bass lines, Nick's synth coolness, Roger's rhythmic drumming, Simon's signature voice looping, and even, back in the day, Andy's guitar strings and I've always been this way with Duran (although I really try hard to ignore Warren's guitar...he still annoys me to this day). It's a rarity than I can do this with any other band. But sometimes, one member's attributes stick out more than another's and this one is all John in my head. Play that fuckin' bass John!

For those who have never been to a Duran Duran concert, usually during Girls on Film, Simon does the band intros and, as we arrive at John, Simon always gets the audience to chanting "play that fuckin' bass John" over and over, sometimes for very long periods of time (I've literally done it until I was hoarse). Just an example from 2012 if you choose to listen (and yes, that is me with the strong Southern accent you hear screaming on a very low quality iPhone video). It's really not a good thing to do, especially since there are usually children around somewhere, but thus is the life of an old-school Duranie...you'll also often hear us screaming bits from the Arena concert during certain old songs as well (and Simon's taken to doing this himself over the years, so the band knows us, oh yes they do!).

Comments

Tiffstitch said…
That was so cool, nice to hear you and what a fun tradition. We hope to teach DD that swearing has its place and it's not always "bad".