Bad Day

So today wasn't the best of days and, on top of that, it was an over 13hr work day, so my usual winding down period with either watching one of "my guys" to calm me just isn't possible(meaning an Jane Austen/Elizabeth Gaskell/or....wait for it....Charlotte Bronte - and for those that don't know...Charlotte wrote Jane Eyre which means Michael Fassbender). So at times like this, I turn to YouTube, where other obsessives...whoops, sorry, fans, like me, make video montages of their favorite film clips with a musical background.

A little known fact is that most of my favorite period dramas also have ties to my favorite TV show, Spooks (or MI-5 as we call it in the States), especially the Austens. In fact, most of the leads and guest stars throughout the years have been in Austen adaptations, most notably, of course, Matthew MacFadyen (Mr. Darcy in the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice), Rupert Penry-Jones (Captain Wentworth in the 2007 Persuasion) and Peter Firth (Henry Tilney in the 1987 Northanger Abbey). And of course Richard Armitage was in North and South (based on the Elizabeth Gaskell novel...not what you were probably thinking...the crappy soap opera-like drama about the civil war starring Patrick Swayze) and North and South is an adopted Austen in my eyes!

Other notable cast members that I can think of off the top of my head are Gemma Jones (Mrs. Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility), Hugh Laurie (same Sense and Sensibility and the best damn head of MI-6 that Spooks ever came up against!), Sophia Myles (Mansfield Park 99), Simon Woods (Matthew's P&P), Tobias Menzies (Rupert's Persuasion), Anne Chancellor (P&P - the Colin Firth version), Robert Glenister and Amanda Root (the 95 Persuasion), and Anthony Head (Rupert's Persuasion). I'm sure there are many others, but I'd probably have to IMDB them to get the full list. Needless to say, nary an episode of Spooks goes by you don't see at least one Austen cast member (same with Doctor Who, but that's a different discussion for a different day).

But I'm off topic yet again. Fan vids....so because of my crappy day, although I'm in a period men mood, I'm also in a kick-ass men mood, so that leads me in one direction, where can I get both? Spooks, of course! So I'm posting two vids...one of periods and one of my boys...Tom Quinn/Fitzwilliam Darcy (Matthew MacFadyen), Adam Carter/Captain Fredrick Wentworth (Rupert Penry-Jones), and Lucas North/John Thornton (Richard Armitage).

One of these days I'm going to break down and make one of these fan vids of my own because they always leave out Jonny Lee Miller and, although he was never on Spooks, has been John Knightley in Emma, Edmund Bertram in Mansfield Park, and even played Fannie's brother Charles in the '83 BBC Mansfield Park! They always seem to want to show the Gwyneth Paltrow version of Emma...and, with the exception of Jeremy Northam,is cringe-worthy to me. I'd rather watch the Kate Beckinsale (when she had bad teeth and was a bit chubby) version with Mark Strong (who was a bit scary as Knightley).

So, after a long day, goodnight, and enjoy the clips!

Comments