Books vs Movies #3: Harry Potter

This one will be short and sweet, just because I think this one is a no-brainer, but maybe you guys can offer me a different opinion. I should also say that I'm only talking about the first seven books and the first eight movies...I haven't seen or read any since (I'm a bit afraid of stirring up another old obsession, which is why I haven't bought any of the new series).

There will NEVER been an ensemble cast like there was in these movies...honestly, it was the best of the best of British actors. Even the ones with tiny roles (like David Tennant or Robert Pattinson...nudge nudge) managed to explode on the screen, and hold their own even with the amazing genius that will forever be Alan Rickman. I think the movies would be too hard for me to watch now because of Alan's loss and I kind of hate that.

But...and, here it comes, even as fabulous as the movies are, they can't even come close to comparing to the books. There is just too information left out of the movies from the books and I feel like I'm probably more attached to the actors in the movies more than I am to the characters in the books. They are almost like two separate worlds to me.

I always felt like the first books reads like a "first novel" in that it's a bit too simple and I'm not a fan of Chamber of Secrets in either form (but it's needed to progress the story, so I deal with it), but the complexity she hits by The Deathly Hallows, her writing has matured so much that you no longer feel like you're reading youth fiction. It's like you grow with the novels like she (and her characters) did and I admire that. I can't say I've ever been so completely lost in a book series before or since in my entire life (and no, I can't compare it to Twilight because that's more of an obsessive thing than an actual "enjoyment" kind of thing...two different beasts, but yes, I'm still neck-deep in that mess too, damn it).

The Potters are truly amazing books and I tend to gasp audibly when people tell me they've seen the movies but never read the books because they are missing so much of the story. Then again, I also find that people who watch movies like this (serials) aren't often readers anyway and, a lot of the time, it's the same way the opposite...if they read the books, they often never see the movies. I'm not sure why that is, but I'm more of the "give it to me in any form you can" kind of person...books, movies, soundtracks, toys (or rather, collectibles I guess I should say), documentaries, podcasts, etc (just not fan fiction, ha!). Maybe that's because of the OCD though. Sometimes I'm unsure what is "normal" behavior and what is just me being "me".

What do you guys think? Books or movies or both or even neither?

Comments

Mii Stitch said…
Yes, I was quite looking forward to this post! :) I agree with you, for me it is definitely both. Although they are the same, they are totally different too and I am sure people who have done the same will agree. Totally obsessed with it all. I have just watched all the series last week and never get bored. I didn't enjoy the last book of the theatre play.I found the story went too far and didn't really fit in with everything else. Enjoyed the Fantastic Beasts and cannot wait for November for the latest release, it will be great to go back to this magical world :)
Linda said…
I don't read any more. My concentration is zero these days. I have never watched one from start to finish. I'm sure I have most all of them though. My husband really likes them.

Linda
Bethan said…
Very much books. Just been listening to them all on audio book and always feel sad when I finish them! The movies are good at points - I feel Prisoner of Azkaban and Deathly Hallows were probably the best ones in being true to the books x
Oh no! Alas, I have a confession to make...I am probably one of the few people who have read Harry Potter nor have I seen any of the movies. I guess I'm saving them for my second childhood which seems to be coming very soon.
Astrids dragon said…
I read them all first and loved them, love the movies too! We actually need to watch them again before Nathan goes back to school in September. He watched the movies first, then I had him read the books and he learned so much more!
I loved both versions of Harry Potter, and the actors have long taken the place of the book characters in front of my inner eye (which might also be because I am terrible at imagining characters from books...I tend to just forget all the details given and make up my own), but all those little details in the books and oh, the lessons and all those wondrous things - I don't think I'd have enjoyed the movies nearly as much without reading the books before. I have a hard time with Order of the Phoenix, though - be it on paper or screen, Dolores Umbridge seriously gives me the creeps!
Confession time - I have never read the books, the intention was to read them with my son when he was the right age. But at that time we were deep in the Discworld which took THREE whole years to read start to finish. We are now reading the Wizard of Earthsea quartet and then the plan is Philip Pullman's Northern Lights series. But maybe we should take a detour via HP Land?

Have you seen the new hardbacks with the house colours? They are bringing out each one on the birthday of the original book! I am quite tempted by the Ravenclaw. Obviously I'm Ravenclaw, as a bookseller what else would I be?
Yes, yes and yes! I agree 100% with everything you said about Harry Potter. And I am also a give it to me in any form except fan fiction. I don't really get that for whatever reason. Anyway the books are my favorite. I read the last one in one day without putting it down or sleeping. Ha ha! I am currently reading The Chamber of Secrets to my 9 year old and am enjoying it just as much as I did the first time I read it. But the movies are good also. They really did great at casting.

Now I haven't read The Cursed Child. I have no desire to read anything Harry Potter that is only in screen play form. No thanks. But, I did see Fantastic Beasts and it was sooooo awesome. You should check it out!