New ideas brewing - a prequel

Let's talk OCD for a minute because it directly relates to where I'm going here. Some obsessions come and go, some I revisit, some I don't, but I'm typically ALWAYS focused on something at any given time (most times, more than one thing, but usually one takes center stage). I can usually manage all of them in relatively "healthy" ways (and by "healthy", I mean as healthy as someone with Asperger's and OCD can be about such things).

It's probably why my earliest bonding obsessions...Disney, Duran Duran and cross stitching, have stayed relatively strong (despite their rather sporadic behavior of late), because I don't think I've had even one bad period with any of those obsessions (although others might disagree). From my point of view, they have always been positive influences and tend to lift me out of the darkest of times. Those three will always be with me, come what may.

Some of my obsessions are really bad though. And when I say "bad", it's not that the object of my obsession is particularly bad, it's my reaction to it that is. Some things rush through me like a poison and corrupt me absolutely and it's usually the ones that start out too potent from the get-go.

When I'm done with this type and am ready to bury them away, I do tend to walk through the regular obsession cemetery, past the other grave stones of normal obsessions past. I walk through the darkest woods of my mind and up the hill to where I know I shouldn't bury them...in the soured ground. In my own little Pet Sematary of the mind, if you will. There is where they wait to be called up again.

I'm not sure why I get mad at myself when they come back. Part of me knew what I was doing when I buried them there...either I wasn't completely done with them and I wanted them to come back, or some secret part of me knew I would need the distraction one day. In this case, I guess it doesn't really matter, I can't control it now anyway, I just have to ride it out. And they obviously never come back the same, so there is also that element I have to deal with. Again, more anger at myself.

But, at the same time, I'm smart enough to know that I will be stupid enough to rebury it back in the Pet Sematary when I'm done again. I am nothing if not predictable. No good obsession makes it in the Pet Sematary, which is a good thing, although not all bad ones have been reawakened (at least not yet), so maybe that's a good sign.

I do have to find ways to channel it though, so I thought I'd try something new this time. I'm still hashing out some details (and I'm still dealing with a pretty potent obsession here right now), so nothing is set in stone, but basically, what I'm thinking of, is a series of posts dealing with the book(s) vs their movie(s) counterparts and which I prefer.

Although I'd put it at 90/10, I personally do not think every book is better than the movie, so there is some things to play with here that could veer me off topic (at least I'm hoping so, although obviously my current obsession will take center stage). I also can't wait to hear what y'alls opinions are compared to mine!

Let's see where we end up, shall we? Oh, and FYI, it's NOT Supernatural! That one (which is one of my good ones), has played it course for now.

Comments

Linda said…
That was rather an interesting post Keiley.

Linda
Books vs movies! What a topic.
Most people say you should read the book first so you imagine the characters for yourself, not see the actors.
But my husband says you should watch the movie first because he has never been disappointed by a book he has read *after* seeing the movie but he has frequently been disappointed by the movie of a book he had enjoyed.
He also refuses to watch "The Making Of" films as it spoils the illusion of reality for him. Whereas I love them!

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this topic.
Love this!! I am a read the book first person. And the thing that irks me the most is when in a movie or television show they leave out small important details that wouldn't have cost anything to put in. I get if they are doing a "based on" approach but if it is pretty much word for word then keep all of it in! Can't wait to hear your opinions :)
Oh, I have a feeling I will like what you're brewing up - books vs movies is a topic I can go on about at length. I agree that most of the times, I prefer the books, and I will usually make sure to read it first, but I kind of like the approach Jo's husband has as well - although I have been disappointed by books I read after seeing the movie, but that usually was when I didn't even know there was a book in the first place, and the book and movie were just very different things!
Bethan said…
I look forward to seeing where you go with this. I am usually a fan of books over films, except for a few small exceptions x