Zombie Town or not?

So I had my EAP appointment today with the therapist. I was as typically combative as an Asper usually is, but I have to say, I didn't hate her (a possible first, but it is still early). She agrees with the OCD and Asperger's (although that's still not an official diagnosis, but most Asper's are self-diagnosed anyway...the only purpose for getting an "official" diagnosis is if I wanted to draw disability and since it costs an outrageous fortune (more than a car), I don't see the need). The kicker was that she thinks that I'm probably more General Anxiety Disorder vs Social Anxiety Disorder and the more she explained it, the more I think I can see her point.

She asked me why I wanted too long to come in (even she knew I screwed up on that front) and I told her how I felt about Zombie Town. That's when things got interesting. She did chide me for not being on long-term meds (as they always do) to which I responded that I will NEVER do that, but she thinks that rather than suppress the OCD and Asperger's (since I deal pretty well), maybe it would be better to suppress the anxiety itself and that is a whole other class of drugs separate from the SSRI's.

Granted, the med decision is up to the shrink (which I don't have an appointment for until August 3rd...something else to worry about between now and then), but now I do have a bit of hope that maybe Zombie Town isn't my destination after all, but rather Mellow Town is. Somehow I have real trouble imagining me in Mellow Town. It certainly won't help with my current lack of attention issues. I don't figure it will make me a more productive employee (although it might make me a nicer one) and I can't imagine how bad my stitching will suffer. Guess we might have to have a discussion about that as well. Ugh, I HATE therapy!

Comments

Linda said…
Hang in there Keiley. It will work out.

Linda
Emma Louise said…
I'm sure working on lilo and stitch will make the time before your next appointment go faster. There's a lady in the US on Facebook that is selling a lot of Disney cross stitch kits, thought you may be interested.
Mii Stitch said…
Surely Mello Town has got to be better than Zombie Town? ;)
Bea said…
Hopefully a slightly different approach will work as well, maybe better. Hang in there!
Heather said…
Hmmm mellow town might work better. I have anxiety issues too but I didn't get the prescription from the pharmacy for the same reasons as you :). I'm curious if mellow town would help with the aspers and setting happy world right again. Good luck I'm rooting for you!
Justine said…
Thinking of you Keebles.
Sounds like an interesting appointment. At least she looked at some different possibilities too.
In the UK it can be quite hard for autistic people to get mental health issues addressed because the professionals say "that's part of being autistic, not a mental health issue". Not really very helpful! Not all autistic people have MH issues so why can't those who do get help for them?
Vickie said…
You got this!! Therapy isn't fun but it does help.