Duran Duran - #2 Night In The City

I'm going to continue on with my album review of Duran Duran's newest, Paper Gods. This post should be a lot shorter than the last one (that intro stuff ALWAYS takes more time), so yea me!

Song 2, Last Night In the City features Kiesza (I don't know who she is, but I guess that doesn't matter). It starts off very non-Duran and could literally be something off of Red Carpet Massacre versus this album. Again, like the first song, as this one progresses, it starts to have a very Astronaut Album sound and I can appreciate it more, it's just that opening that throws me because I always expect the first note to be Simon, not someone else (yes, I know that Paper Gods was also begun by someone else, but it wasn't as startling as it is on this one).

A lot of the songs from the new album have featured guests, something Duran really hasn't done this heavily since the Arcadia album (and yes, I consider Arcadia a Duran album and not the Power Station ones (which I consider a true side project), a by-product of being a Simon-ite maybe, but no one can convince me that Arcadia doesn't have a Duran-type sound, albeit a bit more synth-based and dark. Besides, despite the heavy funk beats of The Power Station project, I think that Notorious (the album made after they came back together, well, minus two Taylors that is) has a much stronger Arcadia influence overall, but I'm digressing (I do that a lot).

Night In The City is a very club-centric song, but very danceable (I don't dance, but if I did, I could definitely "get down" to this one). It's definitely a good workout song, so maybe it will motivate me to get my butt on the treadmill, 'ey?

Comments

Tiffstitch said…
I really liked this one as well. Again, it had a nice beat as I was driving. I test music on "Does this make my drive more enjoyable? Or am I falling asleep?"