Disney Movies - Days 83 - 85

As I mentioned in my stitch post, I apparently missed an entire stack of discs and completely forgot about the numerous series I have on DVD, so I didn't get finished with my Disney Movie Challenge this weekend like I planned. No matter...I'll get through it eventually.

Friday started off with my last Disney Treasures DVD, Disney Rarities. There were seven Alice shorts on the disc (for those who don't know about the Alice stories, it's the first series that Walt & Co started animating back in the 20's in Kansas City).

There were also seven other shorts on disc one, but it was a pretty long disc, so I didn't get to disc 2 until Saturday.

There were twelve shorts on disc 2, including two Humphrey shorts. I absolutely adore Humphrey and have since childhood! Considering he was such a big part of my Disney life, I'm always surprised that so many people don't know who he is. He's all over Wilderness Lodge at Disney World (and he's in a spot or two at the Grand Californian at Disneyland, which I will be verifying soon). The best of the best, of course, is In The Bag, probably because of the song...it gets in your head and your singing it for months!


Then I went through my Have A Laugh discs. Most of these cartoons I couldn't count because I had already counted them in the challenge, all the Donalds and some of the others. Also, for some weird reason, these discs had a cartoon, then the next one would be a short version of the previous one. What was the purpose in that? By the last two discs, they started grouping them at the end, but again, why? Each disc also had these annoying BLAM! snipits. I think I kind of remember those from the old Disney Channel days, but that didn't make them any less annoying. Each disc had three of them, and I'm counting them as one short.

Each disc also included a music video of a popular song set to a Disney cartoon. Again, I found these incredibly annoying. Disc 1 had three I could add to my total, Disc 2 had two, Disc 3 had three and Disc 4 also had three. Hours were spent watching these discs for only a handful of viable counts, but hey, I can honestly say I have literally watched every single Disney disc I have once it's all said and done.

I had a few animation full-lengths to finish, so I started with The Aristocats. This one never floated my boat, so to speak...I always thought of it as a cat version of Lady and the Tramp. Several years ago, there used to be a Disney dating site called DisMates and it was during a time when I had just been divorced long enough to start thinking about maybe getting back out there again. I spent a lot of time on the site, made some really good friends, but had a very strange run-in with someone who called themselves by one of the characters in this movie, so I've been leery of it ever since because it reminds me of him. Now, enough time has passed that I realize I'm fine on my own and that ended up overall being a horrible experience, so I won't be doing that again anyway! But watching The Aristocats again after so long, I really did enjoy it. The animation is classic and the music is fantastic. I would probably say I like this one better than Lady and the Tramp now after this challenge.

There was also a short on the disc that kind of surprised me...I never realized that Figaro had his own short with his own title run. I always wondered how the poor little guy got tossed from Gepetto to Minnie Mouse and, although this cartoon doesn't answer this question for me, it's one of the earliest cartoons I've ever seen him as Minnie's.


I was scraping the bottom of the barrel, so the last major batch of full-lengths was the Winnie The Pooh movies. I used to have a lot more than I do now, like the Tigger one, and Piglet, etc. But when I switched from VHS to DVD, I just cleared a lot of those out (I give them to various co-workers) and never replaced the little ones. I am NOT a Pooh fan. I know, blasphemy, right? But I'm not and never had been. I just never got it. Even as a little kid, I thought it was way too child-like and beneath me. I didn't care for the animation and the characters all had some of my worst traits, like Pooh's weight, Piglet's chicken-ness, Rabbit's know-it-all attitude, Tigger's over-hyperactivity, etc, and I didn't like being reminded of all my shortcomings. And Heffalumps and Woozles scared me as much as the Pink Elephants in Dumbo, so another reason to stay away. I think I've come to realize that I had a childhood fear of elephants and just didn't know it at the time.

I watched The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh first. Beside all of the above, I also noticed how much Gopher's voice made my head hurt. I literally had a headache by the time the movie with over with and had to take a break for a while before I started the next one.

There was one Eeyore short on the disc as well as five "Mini Adventures of Winnie The Pooh". About the only good thing about these shorts was they were narrated by John Cleese and I've had a crush on him since A Fish Called Wanda.

I only have one other Pooh disc, called simply Winnie The Pooh. Thank goodness no Gopher, but I couldn't tell much of a difference between these two discs. They were different story lines (sort of), but I just kind of felt like I was watching a remake instead of a new movie. I also noticed that some of the Mini Adventures were included in this storyline, but I'm not sure of the extent or which ones, so I'm counting them anyway.


The only animation discs I have left were compilations, so I started with the Phineas and Ferb: The Perry Files - Animal Agents first. There were twelve episodes of the TV show on this disc (why can't Mickey Mouse Clubhouse do that?) as well as six Take Two shorts. Although I don't have all the Phineas and Ferb discs, I have a couple and I always liked the show. I would probably say that I'm a definite Perry fan and not so much Phineas and Ferb, but it's still worth watching.

It was really late, so I picked back up Sunday with The Perry Files. There were only seven episodes on this disc and one short, but still better than the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse discs, so I felt I got my money's worth.

And speaking of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, it was time to finish those up. I started with Minnie's Pet Salon, which was one full-length and four episodes. Mickey's Great Outdoors was next with five episodes, followed by The Wizard of Dizz (1 FL and 2 eps as well as 10 Bow Toons), and finally Minnie's Winter Bow Show (4 eps and 10 Bow Toons).

I'm not entirely sure some of these weren't repeats I had seen before or if I remembered them from watching when they were broadcast, or maybe even if they were just similar to ones I had already seen, but I wasn't paying close enough attention to say for sure, so I'm still going to count them.

Other than the TV series, that's it for the single disc animation videos...so at least I'm making progress! I feel like I should also mention that a lot of these discs, especially the D-Channel related discs have "things" inside the DVD case...from toys to jewelry to all kinds of knick-knacks related to the film. I have never taken any of these out of the DVD cases other than the Mickey's Great Outdoors because it came in a huge box with a Mickey TV remote and the box took up too much room. Every time I've opened these discs to play them through the challenge, I've been surprised by their contents that I had forgotten about. I may have never of watched some of these, but they have all been opened because I need the Disney Movie Rewards code inside. I get that code before the DVD or Blu-Ray ever comes close to the storage case.

But anyhoo, I still had some time before the night was over with, so it was time to jump into the live actions that I apparently had been avoiding so much I ignored them in my initial DVD search. First up, The Lizzie McGuire Movie. This actually wasn't that bad and I kind of remembered why I purchased it in the first place. I never watched the TV show, but I don't mind Hilary Duff that much. At least I don't have to see her naked breasts everytime I open the internet like I do with Miley Cyrus.


But then I made a tragic mistake for ending the night. The only Herbie movie I own is Herbie Fully Loaded. I'm not really sure why. I don't really remember liking the originals when I was a kid. If anything, a car who could feel, act and communicate was a bit too Christine for me and he scared me. This version is just pure crap. How they ever got that caliber of actors to be in it surprises the heck out of me (and by that I mean Michael Keaton and Matt Dillon, NOT Lindsey Lohan).

I was just really ready to go to bed after that and I'm afraid it won't be much better tonight with what is left. Oh well, at least the counts have gone way up again, especially the shorts and series.

MOVIE TOTALS:
Live Action: 99
Full-Length Animation: 117
Mixed-Medium: 11
Animated Shorts: 432
Live Action Shorts: 1
Mixed-Medium Shorts: 3
Animated Series: 118
Mixed-Medium Series: 2
Documentaries: 14
Concerts: 1

Comments

Heather said…
I adore the Lizzie McGuire movie but I was a fan of the show. I agree about pooh definitely not my favorite. I like aristocrats but eh not something I can watch over and over
Tiffstitch said…
Wow... that's a ton of discs to get through. I did like the old Herbie movies, but I hadn't heard of Christine then. I never saw Fully Loaded and won't bother. Maybe the good actors were there because of fond memories of the old ones?