Stitch update and Brave review

Considering the work stress I've been under, the fact that I was at the beauty shop for 4 hours Saturday and went and saw Brave on Sunday, I'm pretty surprised I got any stitching done this weekend, but I did! I planned on starting Sleepy Hollow this weekend, but I got so far with my little Highland girl, I just couldn't stop on her (and she kind of resembles a zombie right now with the missing eye).

DSC00205

On to Brave - I've been anticipating this movie for a really, really long time, ever since they were having director troubles. I've already got my Animator's Collection doll and the Merida Disney doll for my collection and the thought of the pins at Disney World had me all excited. I've been really trying hard not to get the three plush triplet bears. But the most important thing is the fact that Disney finally has a Scottish princess and I was just completely over the moon about it!

I've discussed my art past, my feelings about the second and third generation Disney movies, and how long it took me to come around to the CG side (which, in my mind, used to be comparable to the Dark side). And, as far as Pixar movies go, I'm still a bit on the fence about them...the CG is so "pungent", that it pollutes the amazing storylines and I just haven't been able to get past it. At least with Disney CG, they still meld in a bit of actual hand-drawn appeal. Take Tangled for instance, it has become one of my favorite movies of all time! It really is a gorgeous piece of art (and for ME to say that about CG, the sky MUST be falling!).

The funny thing about anticipation, you build something up so great in your mind, by the time it actually happens, you find yourself a bit disappointed. Granted, I did really like Brave, but I didn't LOVE it. My problem is, I get too distracted by the surrounding art, even the backgrounds, and if the story isn't strong enough or the characters aren't appealing enough, the CG starts to distract me. They did spend a lot of time on character animation and it showed, but I think that the fast moving horse-riding was meant more as a distraction from the fact that the backgrounds were absolute crap.

I really wanted to absolutely love Merida, but I just couldn't. Her little brothers were the highlight of the movie and they had very little screen time. I also kept having flashbacks to Brother Bear through the entire movie. Don't get me wrong, there were some absolutely hilarious moments, and seeing naked animated butts was as funny as it was shocking. I can't say I've ever seen a naked animated butt! There was a definite call for the PG rating!

The soundtrack, on the other hand, was really amazing! The music was gorgeous and I found myself listening more to the music than to the characters. The soundtrack is a definite MUST have!

Once it comes out on Blu-Ray, I'll definitely get it (as I do with every Disney/Pixar movie), and I will actually watch it again to make sure how I feel about it, but I won't pay the $8 to see it in 3D again. But, don't take my word for it, judge for yourself (but you might want to forgo the 3D price).

I think I'll watch Tangled (yet again). I need to be reminded that CG can be good, even if it will never match the perfection that is the classic hand-drawn - the TRUE art form of animation, even if it is lost forever. If CG will continue to strive for the hand-drawn appeal, like Tangled did, then maybe there is hope for CG yet!

Comments

great stitching progress :D

you've made me want to go see brave now for myself!