Stella - A Review

It's been a while since I've done a tele review, and since this show has grabbed me, I thought it fitting to share the love!

For those of you that watch British TV (I don't watch barely any American shows apart from Once Upon A Time), then you might know Ruth Jones from Gavin And Stacey (Nessa, "oh oh oh, what's occurrin?"...love that!). Ruth, along with James Corden wrote and stared in it (and in my opinion, it should have been called Nessa and Smithy, because they made the show!), and it was absolutely hilarious! So since Stella was also written and stared in by Ruth, I knew it could only be great!

Here's just a couple of clips from Gavin And Stacey:





And an absolutely funny live GOSH Gala skit!


But back to Stella:
Stella on Amazon UK

Set in Wales (shock - like Gavin And Stacey) the premise of the show is that Stella, a single mother of three, is juggling her incarcerated, but soon-released, son, her recently knocked-up daughter, and the youngest son, who is just trying to find his place in the chaos. Add to that an ex-husband (aka father of the youngest two kids) and his tangerine-tanned girlfriend (who he left/cheated on Stella for/with), the daughter's boyfriend and his wacky parents and their continual up and down relationship, her constant sex game-playing brother and alcoholic sister-in-law (who works for an undertaker), an infatuated-with-Stella lollipop man (what we call in the states a crossing guard), his son, and a total hottie named Luke who has his eye on Stella. And just when you think they've got the perfect relationship, Stella's first love (and father of her eldest) returns to screw everything up!





But don't just take my word for it, Ruth Jones is nominated for a BAFTA for her performance! The series ends with a cliffhanger, but the second series is filming now, so, as Nessa would say, "tidy!".

Comments

Tom Badguy said…
Hmm, interesting review. I like UK television. You should review Black's Books. I loved that show.
Keebles said…
I do actually have Black Books in my Amazon UK wishlist (along with about 160 other items!). Hopefully I will get around to getting it soon!